|Manufacturer:||LIW, a division of Denel (Pty) Ltd|
|Product type:||Weapons & Weapon Systems|
The G5 is a proven, accurate, long range, 155mm 45 calibers towed howitzer with an auxiliary power unit. The auxiliary power unit provides the gun with hydraulic power requested for rapid deployment as well as self-propelled capability for tactical movement. The G5 is fully compatible with 155m NATO standard ammunition, reliable and user-friendly gun.
The G5 features direct fire capability at maximum ranges of 3,000 meters. It is air transportable by a single C-130 aircraft. Employing conventional shells the G5 has a maximum range of 30 km, with Base-Bleed shells 39 km and with the Denel's V-LAP projectile the maximum range is 50 km. In addition, it provides a rate of fire of 3 rounds per minute during 15 minutes and 2 rounds per minute during 1 hour.
The G5 has been ordered by countries around the world and was used by Iraq during the Gulf War in 1991.
The G5 can be towed by a gun-tractor in the 10-ton cl.i speeds of 90 km/h. In the sell-propelled mode, speeds of 16 km/h on hard level surfaces and 4 knm/h on sand can be attained. The gun can be driven with its barrel forward in the travelling or Bring position.
In extreme terrain conditions the APU can provide additional tractive effort, forming an alt-wheel drive combination with the towing vehicle.
The G5 can readily be transported by rail, sea or air. fitting comfortably into a freight aircraft such as the Ñ130. In these instances the APU greatly simplifies loading procedures,
Thanks to the hydraulic assistance provided by the API', a crew of five men can bring the G5 into or out of action within only 2 minutes. No ground preparation is required before firing. This, together with the auto-propulsion feature, enables a G5 battery to re-deploy very rapidly after firing a salvo, so escaping the enemy's counter-battery fire.
The "shoot and scoot" capability, together with the range advantage of the G5 is essential for high survivability on the modern battlefield.
The G5 Offers nominal sea level ranges of 30 km with standard projectiles and 39km with base-bleed projectiles. These ranges, combined with a traverse capability of up to 82" and elevation angles of-3° to +75°. make this a superior gun with respect to both flexibility and area coverage.
The probable error specification at 75% of maximum range is a proven 0,48$ of range and I mil in deflection.
The G5 can accurately cover a target zone of almost 1000 km2 without change of position. The charge system provides adequate range overlap during high-angle tiring.
A firing rate of three rounds per minute for 15 minutes can be achieved with the maximum charge and a normal firing rate of two rounds per minute for 60 minutes.
The G5. together widi its integrated logistics system, was developed in the context of the integrated artillery system fielded by the DENEL Group.
As a result, the G5 can be offered either alone or, more usually, as pail of a complete package, depending on the particular needs of the client.
A comprehensive and flexible ammunition system was developed in conjunction with the G5. This includes the following:
• Extended range full-bore projectiles of explosive, cargo and practice types: all ballistically matched and with fteld-fittable base-bleed units.
• A five-zone combustible-case modular propelling charge system. based on cool-hurning propellanis. which ensure a long barrel life of more than fr(KH) standard charges.
• Compatible fuzes of direct action, electronic time or proximity types, all suitable for full charge and maximum range application.
• Command & Fire Control systems.
• Meteorological systems,
• Observation systems.
• Communication systems (for both voice and data).
• Logistic support vehicles.
• Ammunition vehicles.
• Gun Tractors.
A complete integrated logistics support package is available. This is normally tailored to a specific environment and application. taking into account the capabilities of the User's evisting support infrastructure. The package could include:
• Equipment and accessories carried with the gun or at higher echelons.
• Operating, maintenance and workshop repair manuals; and illustrated parts catalogues.
• Spare parts and assemblies, tools and equipment to support everything from first-line to base-workshop repair and maintenance, including complete overhauls and rebuilds.
• Operational and technical training at all levels.
• Field support.