|Manufacturer:||RAFAEL Armament Development Authority Ltd.|
|Product type:||Weapons & Weapon Systems|
|Name:||Anti-tank guided missile launcher|
SPIKE-MR (Gill) Medium Range Anti-Tank Weapon.
The SPIKE-MR is a lightweight, man-portable, Fire and Forget, multi-purpose missile system with a range of up to 2,500 meters. Its Fire and Forget operational mode guarantees maximum gunner survivability and high hit probability. The SPIKE-MR has an optional Fire, Observe and Update mode of operation for the modern, multi-faceted battle.
The "Gil" is a personal, third generation, "fire and forget, missile. The "Gil" is able to receive data subsequent to its launch, and is capable of switching targets while in flight.
The "Gil" is one of the most advanced missiles in the world, and was developed by the Rafael arms industry in cooperation with the IDF during the 1990's.
The advent of the "Gil" revolutionized the Israeli arms industry, as the IDF had previously relied on the "Orev" and "Gavnoni" anti-tank missiles. Currently, the IDF bases its anti-tank capabilities primarily on the "Gil" type anti-tank missiles.
1) Versatility: The missile can be adapted to naval, aerial, and land platforms.
2) Range: Range of 2.5 km.
3) The warhead seeker: The warhead seeker is electro-optical (TV) and enables tracking as well as pinpoint target acquisition. In addition, the "Gil's" fiber-optic communcations system allows for the collection of vital intelligence gathering, the ability to seek hidden targets, and prevents firing against targets which have been previously destroyed.
4) All weather capability: The missile operates in all weather conditions and in nocturnal scenarios. The ability of the "Gil" to operate in the above-mentioned conditions represents a signifcant technological advance.
5) Tandem (double) warhead: The tandem double warhead allows for increased penetration, especially against reactive armor, and enables the second warhead to penetrate the target.
6) Fire and forget capability: Automatic target guidance.
7) Fire and optic capabilities: This includes the ability to update target information and to switch between targets during a flight.
8) Vertical assault trajectory.
9) Fiber optic communication.
10) Lightweight: Each infantry soldier can carry up to two missiles on his back.