ILWS / ORCWS 7.62
|Manufacturer:||Elbit Systems Ltd.|
|Name:||Remote controlled weapon station|
The Overhead Remote Controlled Weapon Stations (ORCWS) incorporate Elbit Systems' heritage of delivering advanced battle proven solutions. Based on in-house electro-optics, the company's range of weapon stations incorporate over 30 years of experience in the development of weapons fire control, target acquisition, automatic tracking, and stabilization systems. The ORCWS is designed to meet a broad range of requirements and offers superior performance in battlefield conditions.
Fully overhead with no deck penetration, the dual axis stabilized ORCWS provides on-the-move accuracy while minimizing operator risk exposure. The weapon stations can be mounted on to a wide range of armoured fighting vehicles, main battle tanks and support vehicles. The range of ORCWS is adaptable to a wide variety of weapon types from all origins including: 5.56mm (0.22"), 7.62mm (0.3") and 12.7mm (0.5") caliber weapons and 40mm automatic grenade launchers. Options include a laser rangefinder, smoke grenade launchers, modular armour protection as well as high-performance long-range day and night cameras.
- A fully integrated electro-optical system, based on in-house development
- Adaptable to light or medium calibre weapons of all origins
- Incorporates over 30 years experience with weapon stations and stabilization systems
- Compatible with a wide range of armoured fighting vehicles, main battle tanks and naval vessels
- Stand-alone or configurable with existing technologies and infrastructure
- Fully compliant with MIL standards requirements
- Fully overhead, eliminating deck penetration
- Dual axis stabilized
- Highly accurate on-the-move firing
- Fire rate selection - continuous and burst
- Rounds counter
- Day and night operation
- Remote aiming, firing, cocking and jam clearing
- Safety mechanism
- Automatic target tracking
- Backup manual operation
Elbit System's subsidiary EFW recently won its first major US order for remotely operated weapon station - the company will supply 450 overhead remotely controlled weapon stations (ORCWS 7.62) to be operated by the loaders on US Marine Corps M1A1 tanks. Designated Improved Loader's Weapon Station (ILWS) by the US Marines, the systems are mounted as 'add-on' to the turret roof, without penetration required into the vehicle's deck. It maintains a low silhouette and its fully stabilized weapon and sensor mount and soft recoil mechanism, offering high accuracy fire. The lightweight (<95 kg net weight, without weapon or ammo) electrically operated system mounts an M240B machine gun and 690 rounds (upgradable to 1150).
eloading can be performed in less than a minute. The weapon is operated remotely from inside the tank facilitating weapon aiming, firing, charging and stoppage clearing.
ILWS uses an uncooled thermal viewer, developed specifically for this application. A similar system is currently being evaluated to equip the Israeli Merkava Mk4 tanks.