|Product type:||Weapons & Weapon Systems|
In 1987, Giat Industries showed the prototype of an upgraded US 155 mm M114 towed howitzer designated the M114F. This was developed as a private venture and aimed specifically at the export market. The modernised 155 mm howitzer M114F has been successfully qualified by the French Army.
Giat Industries can either upgrade existing M114s in France, or supply kits enabling users to upgrade M114s in their own facilities. By 1990, development of the M114F was complete and it had successfully completed exhaustive firing trials in France.
The modification consists of the following:
- Replacement of the original barrel with the proven Nexter Systems 155 mm 39 calibre NATO barrel 155 TR (ordnance, muzzle brake, sleeve and breech), without modification of the original gun cradle
- Replacement of the equilibrators by new gas compensator equilibrators
- Addition of a loading tray (optional)
- Slight modification of the elastic couplings
- Advancing the firing jack by 20 cm
- Fitting of castor wheels to each trail leg to reduce time into and out of action (optional)
- One single-barrel handwheel for aiming in both elevation and traverse
The original M114, developed over 50 years ago, has a crew of 11 whereas the M114F has a seven-man crew. Time into action for the M114 being 3 minutes compared to 6 minutes for the M114F.
According to Giat Industries, the M114F has the following ranges:
18,500 m with US M107 HE projectile 24,000 m with Giat HE LU 111 HB projectile 30,400 m with Giat HE LU 111 BB projectile 32,900 m with ERFB-BB projectile.
The upgraded M114F weapon conforms to the NATO 39 calibre STANAG.
Development complete. As of mid-1999 there were no known firm production orders for this upgrade package.