|Manufacturer:||Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH & Co.KG - KMW|
|Product type:||Armoured Vehicles|
|Name:||Main battle tank|
With a total of 4,744 vehicles produced since 1965, the LEOPARD 1 MBT continues to be in service with the armed forces of eleven countries throughout the world. Among other reasons, this great success is attributable to the fact that combat effectiveness improvement measures have kept the weapons system in line with the latest state-of-the-art technology. User countries can choose from a large variety of retrofit kits to match the configuration of the system to specific key requirements in terms of firepower, protection, mobility and logistics.
A logistic system which has been optimized over decades ensures simple maintainability and a high level of availability despite the long service life of the system. Upgrading programmes for the LEOPARD 1 A5 MBT - which is in service with six countries - applied proven technologies in the areas of target acquisition and engagement that are also used in the LEOPARD 2 series production programme.
The following operational requirements placed on the LEOPARD 1 A5 MBT have been met through technical modifications:
• high first-round hit probability with all types of ammunition by day and night and under limited visibility conditions, even against camouflaged targets and in moving-tank to moving-target engagements
• short preparation time to open fire
• high accuracy and stability of adjustment
• fast testability of weapons system and establishment of ready-to-fire condition without external test equipment
• improved reliability.
In order to further match the weapons system to the individual mission profiles, the current threat scenarios and relevant deployment conditions/climatic zones, numerous proven and in-service retrofit and adapter kits are available, such as
• Fire control system with EMES 18 and thermal imager
• Electric gun/turret drive
• 120 mm smoothbore gun
• Dual-circuit brake system
• Driver's rear view unit
• Tropical kit
• Modular add-on armour
• Interface with mine clearing equipment or dozer blade.